How to Optimize Battery Life for Video Quality in Windows 10 – In Windows 10, you can customize battery settings on your laptop or tablet to optimize battery life or quality during video playback.
If you don’t change the settings, Windows 10 will automatically optimize your device for battery life when playing HDR (High Dynamic Range) videos in SDR (Standard Dynamic Range) when your laptop or tablet is not connected. Suppose you are not connected and still want the best video quality possible. In that case, the Settings app includes an option to customize the experience.
This guide will teach you the steps to allow Windows 10 to use the best video quality when playing HDR content on your computer.
How to adjust the settings on your battery to improve the video quality using Settings
- Open Settings.
- Click System.
- Click Battery.
- Under Move saving options, use the drop-down menu and select Optimize for video quality.
- Optimize for Video Quality Settings
If you have an HDR display, the next time you play a movie or video on battery power, Windows 10 will optimize the experience for the best viewing experience rather than conserving battery life.
As of Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, this option has been moved to the new video playback page under Settings > Apps > Video playback. You will also find additional settings to lower video resolution and save battery.
Video playback settings Windows 10 version 1709
How to change battery settings for video quality using Control Panel
If you are running Windows 10 Anniversary Update or earlier, you can customize this option in Control Panel.
- Open Control Panel.
- Click System and Security.
- Click on Power Options.
- To modify the active power plan’s settings, select the Change plan settings option.
- Click on Change advanced power settings.
- Double click Multimedia settings.
- Double click Video playback quality bias.
- Under On battery, select Video playback performance bias.
- Power Options Control Panel
- Click Apply.
- Click OK.
After completing the steps, Windows 10 will play HDR videos and movies at best possible performance.