Upgrading Your MSI GS65: Tips for Maximum Performance
If you own an MSI GS65 gaming laptop, you know it’s a powerful machine designed for gaming and other demanding applications. However, like most laptops, you can improve its performance by upgrading some of its hardware components. In this article, we’ll show you how to upgrade your MSI GS65 for maximum performance.
Upgrade the RAM
One of the easiest and most effective ways to upgrade your MSI GS65 is by adding more RAM. Most GS65 models come with 16GB of RAM, but you can upgrade it to 32GB for a noticeable improvement in performance. More RAM means your laptop can handle more applications at once and switch between them more smoothly.
Upgrade the SSD
Another upgrade that can significantly improve your laptop’s performance is swapping out the existing hard drive for a solid-state drive (SSD). An SSD is much faster than a traditional hard drive, which means your laptop will boot up faster, applications will load quicker, and file transfers will be faster. You can either replace the existing hard drive with an SSD or add an SSD as a second drive.
Repaste the Thermal Paste
Thermal paste is the material that sits between your laptop’s CPU and GPU and the heatsink that cools them down. Over time, the thermal paste can dry out and lose its effectiveness, which can lead to overheating and reduced performance. Reapplying thermal paste is a simple task that can be done by opening up your laptop and cleaning off the old paste. Then apply new thermal paste to the CPU and GPU. This will help keep your laptop cool and running at peak performance.
Undervolt the CPU
Undervolting the CPU is a process that involves reducing the voltage that’s delivered to the CPU. By doing so, you can reduce the heat generated by the CPU and improve performance. Undervolting can be done through software tools like Intel XTU or ThrottleStop. However, it’s important to note that undervolting can cause instability, so it’s best to do it in small increments and test your laptop’s stability after each adjustment.
Clean the Fans and Vents
Over time, dust and debris can accumulate in your laptop’s fans and vents, which can reduce airflow and cause your laptop to overheat. Regularly cleaning the fans and vents can help improve airflow and keep your laptop running at optimal performance. You can use compressed air to blow out the dust, or you can use a small brush to gently remove the debris.
Advantages and Disadvantages of MSI GS65
Before we delve into the upgrades, it’s important to understand the advantages and disadvantages of the MSI GS65.
- High-performance: The MSI GS65 is equipped with a powerful processor and GPU that can handle the most demanding games and applications.
- Lightweight and portable: The laptop is lightweight and easy to carry around, making it perfect for gamers who are always on the go.
- Sleek design: The laptop’s design is sleek and modern, with a thin bezel display that provides an immersive gaming experience.
- Limited storage: The MSI GS65 comes with a limited amount of storage, which can be a hindrance for gamers who require large storage capacity.
- Limited upgrade options: The laptop’s components are tightly packed, making it difficult to upgrade some parts.
Upgrades for Maximum Performance
- Upgrade the RAM
The MSI GS65 comes with 16GB of DDR4 RAM, which is sufficient for most games and applications. However, upgrading to 32GB of RAM can significantly boost the laptop’s performance. With more RAM, the laptop can handle more demanding applications and multitasking with ease.
- Increased performance when running multiple applications or programs
- Ability to handle more demanding applications and games
- Can be expensive to purchase additional RAM
- Limited benefits if you’re not running many applications at once
- Upgrade the Storage
The MSI GS65 comes with a 512GB SSD, which is enough for most gamers. However, if you need more storage, upgrading to a larger SSD or adding a secondary hard drive can be a great option. With more storage, you can store more games, files, and other applications without worrying about running out of space.
- More storage space for games and files
- Improved performance when accessing and saving files
- Can be expensive to purchase additional storage
- Limited benefits if you don’t need more storage space
- Upgrade the GPU
The MSI GS65 comes with a powerful NVIDIA GTX 1060 GPU, which can handle most games with ease. However, if you want to take your gaming experience to the next level, upgrading to a more powerful GPU such as the NVIDIA RTX 2060 or 2070 can make a significant difference. With a more powerful GPU, you can enjoy better graphics and smoother gameplay.
- Better graphics and smoother gameplay
- Improved performance when running demanding games and applications
- Can be expensive to upgrade the GPU
- Limited benefits if you’re not a heavy gamer or don’t run demanding applications
- Undervolt the CPU
Undervolting the CPU is a technique that involves reducing the voltage supplied to the processor. This can reduce heat and improve performance without affecting stability. Undervolting the MSI GS65 can improve battery life and reduce heat, making the laptop more comfortable to use for extended periods.
- Improved battery life
- Reduced heat and noise levels
- Can be risky if not done correctly
- Limited benefits if you don’t use the laptop for extended periods
Upgrading your MSI GS65 for maximum performance can be done by upgrading the RAM, swapping out the hard drive for an SSD, repasting the thermal paste, undervolting the CPU, and cleaning the fans and vents. These upgrades can significantly improve your laptop’s performance and extend its lifespan. Before attempting any upgrades, make sure to research and consult with professionals to ensure compatibility and avoid damaging your laptop. By following these tips, you can enjoy a faster and smoother experience on your MSI GS65 gaming laptop.