How to install ChromeOS Flex
How to install ChromeOS Flex – Chrome OS Flash gives old computers a lift. This Linux-based software can be installed on both Windows and Mac computers for free. It is a great alternative to traditional hardware and helps in modernizing them, keeping them from being thrown away, and decreasing electronic waste. In just a few moments, I’ll show you how to install the operating systems.
- 64-bit Intel or AMD processor
- 4GB RAM
- 16 GB internal storage
- Access to BIOS settings
- A flash drive of 8 GB or greater should be available.
- To create a bootable USB Stick, you will need to access a Chrome OS, macOS, or Windows computer.
How to install ChromeOS Flex
Time required: 50 minutes
Chrome OS Flex is currently being tested. It is possible for it to have bugs or instabilities while being used. Installation is at your own risk.
To ensure that the process works properly, make sure you check the list of certified computers before proceeding. You don’t have to worry if your computer isn’t listed. The installation can still go ahead as normal.
Follow these instructions to learn how you can install OS Flex.
- Get the Chromebook extension installed:Go to Chrome Web Store to install the ” Chromebook Repair Utility” extension. Click on “Use in Chrome”, then click on “Add Extension”.
- Start the extensionClick on the “Extensions”, (puzzle icon), in the upper left corner, and then click on “Chromebook Rescue Utility”
- Start the process:To continue, click “Get Started” when the extension is open.
- Choose a modelClick on “Select from the list” After this, select “Google Chrome OS Flex” from the manufacturer’s choice. Below, in the product option, select “Chrome OS Flex (Developer-Unstable)” and click “Continue”;
- Place the flash driveAfter inserting your flash drive into the USB port of the computer, click “Continue”.
- Make the recovery imageThis extension will warn you that data and partitions on your Pendrive will be deleted. To insert the software onto the storage device, click “Create now”. This can take between 20 and 40 minutes.
- Enter the BIOS of your computer:After the utility has indicated that the recovery media is available, turn off your computer and insert the USB drive. Turn on your computer and press F1, F2, or F9 to open the BIOS. On Mac, it’s the Option key.
- Start configuration :Use the arrow keys in the BIOS to access the “Boot” tab. You will see a boot order, which can vary depending on the device. The flash drive should be placed as a priority on the list.
- Save the changes, then restart your computerTo exit and begin booting from your flash drive, click the “Exit” tab.
- Start the installationOnce the installation screen loads click “Get Started”.
- Continue installation:To continue the installation, click on “Install CloudReady2.0” to proceed. If you wish, you can also test the system by clicking “Try it first”.
- Finish the installationTo install Chrome OS Flex, click “Install CloudReady 2.0”. This will wipe your entire hard drive. I recommend making a backup.
What functions aren’t available in Chrome OS Flex
The following features are currently not supported by Chrome OS Flex and have not been tested: CD and DVD players, fingerprint readers, FireWire ports, infrared (IR), and facial recognition cameras; proprietary connectors; docks; stylus pen and Thunderbolt functionality.Advertisement